Well, this morning did not go as planned. I set my alarm for 4:35 and it never went off. Someone (I will blame Ryan) turned the volume off of my alarm. Before you ask, yes, I have an old-fashioned alarm clock on my nightstand. When I woke up it was 5:10 and I was scrambling and not mentally prepared to get myself together to get up and go the gym for less than thirty minutes.
I did not get to the gym and I was ready to be all self-deprecating and nasty, but then I turned lemons into lemonade and took the opportunity to have a conversation with my husband, jump in the shower early and actually take time to get ready (hello, hairdryer and hot rollers, I have missed you).
I might make it to the gym tonight, I might not have the time or the cooperation from my little alarm-messer-upper, but I have to be okay with that. Sometimes life just gets in the way and that is that.
I have greatly deprived myself this week of food. I have replaced two meals a day with Glucerna Shakes and have had a very small dinner each night. This is not a lifestyle that I will be able to keep up forever, but I am doing it because I wanted to see if I could and I also needed to cut back and make better choices so this is sort of a jump start.
Through the week I have learned a few things about myself:
- When given a challenge I am up for it. Even though there have been several moments this week that I have wanted to eat something beyond my plan, I did not do it because I didn’t want to let myself down.
- I can live off a lot less food then I have been eating. It is amazing to me how much less intake my body really needs. Although my mouth felt deprived, my body did not. I never had a headache, stomach growling, or any signs of starvation 🙂
- I actually feel physically and mentally “lighter” when I am not eating so much. I am definitely a bulk eater, but when I eat less I actually feel lighter even if I haven’t lost any weight. Maybe the doctor is right…if you stick to 4-5 ounces of food every 3-4 hours you will feel a shift in your body almost immediately…hum.
- I thought I would be much more cranky, but I am actually much happier.
- I am such an emotional eater that I have had to find new outlets for stress and anxiety. This week I have been trying to read magazines, do extra things for work, and find something that makes me happy other then food. This has definitely been the most difficult task!